SOME LOCAL POINTS OF INTEREST





SCROLL DOWN to learn some details on local points of interest:
 

GALETTA COMMUNITY CENTRE

The main building of the  Community Centre has been the centre of Galetta's Community activity since the early 1900s.  Formerly called  Russell's Hall ( originally Whyte's Hall), it was located on the Main Street ( now Galetta Side Road). The hall hosted dancing classes, concerts, banquets  and euchre parties. Especially during the Depression years, young people gathered there for an evening of entertainment provided by local talent.

In 1987 Russell Hall was moved to the present location in Russell Park, at 119 Darwin St.



An extension was added to the main building to accommodate additional facilities. The Donald MacHardy Lawn Bowling Greens were established in 1992 and the Rink & Sport Centre were completed in 2000.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


GALETTA LAWN BOWLING 



The Donald MacHardy Lawn Bowling Greens were established in 1992 and appropriately bear the name of the local resident who was the driving force behind its concept and construction.
Comprising eight lanes, the club draws its membership from a broad community that extends well beyond Galetta's boundaries. The club has a very active recreational and competitive program as well as social activities throughout the season.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>




park2 causeway park 

The Morris Island Conservation Area is located along the Ottawa River near the community of Vydon Acres. This 47 hectare site consists of forested woodlands and wetlands that appeal to nature enthusiasts of all ages.

Opportunities for day-use include recreational activities such as hiking, picnicking, canoeing, fishing and natural interpretation.

Accessible facilities for the physically challenged include nature trails, fishing platforms, washrooms and picnic areas. Canoeing is only permitted within the bay areas of the island due to water level fluctuations from the nearby hydro dam.

The Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority manages the site. It is open to the public year-round, however, some of the facilities are not operational during the winter months.


morris_1 morris_2 park6 

http://www.mvc.on.ca/index.php/conservation-areas/morris

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>



MISSISSIPPI RIVER HYDRO DAM




Galetta's hydroelectric dam was built in the early 1900s by Moran and Brennan from Arnprior. The Galetta Electric Company supplied Arnprior with power starting in 1907. This Galetta generating station was also original the source of power for the operation of the Kingdon Mine.



Electricity became available for the village after 1914 when the company was taken over by Ontario Hydro. Ontario Hydro subseqently closed down the Galetta operations after  construction of the Chats Falls dam and generating station was completed in 1931. After several years of closure, it was re-opened by a private company.  Canadian Hydro purchased the company in 1998. Since then the generators and controls have been upgraded and the plant now provides 'renewable energy source' electricity to the Ontario Hydro grid.

    



>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

KINGDON MINE


   
The Morris Island area has a long history of mineral deposits. It was believed that the First Nations knew of copper in the area and early French explorers identified minerals possibly as early as 1743. Several attempts were made to work these deposits and a formal mine operated briefly in the mid-1880s. Operations ceased shortly thereafter when all buildings and equipment were destroyed by fire.

The mine was not operated on any large scale until it was re-activated in 1914 to meet the demand for lead during WW I. The mine then operated continually and the lead ore was smelted on site until it was closed in 1931. During its 47 years of operation, Kingdon Mine became the largest lead mine and smelter in Canada. It is estimated that 60 million pounds of lead was extracted. At its peak, the mine employed 600 people and 250 families lived in the Village of Kingdon Mines.

Today, other than the foundations of the mine buildings, the only immediate evidence of the former mine is the massive tailings just north of the hydro transmission lines [see air photo HERE]. These tailings were used locally for some time as an aggregate until the elevated levels of lead caused health concerns.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


WALLACE PROPERTY


The Wallace family has resided in Galetta for some 50 years. Their property on the main street (Galetta Side Road at the intersection with Mohrs Road) is notable to passers-by for the large model of the CN tower as well as their garden that contains a miniature of the Galetta train station with a miniature train and  a short section of  track.




It is interesting to note that the Wallace garden is in the original location Whyte's Hall (later Russell's Hall). This hall was the centre of community life in Galetta  starting in the early 1900s. The Wallaces purchased the lot when the hall was moved to Russell Park in 1987 to be the main building for the new Community Centre.


 

AREA MAP: CLICK HERE to view a map of the area